- The modern age is very busy and full of worries and stress. Everybody wants a peaceful mind and a healthy lifestyle. To live a healthy life it is important to have knowledge of the main organ of the body that is the Heart. The heart is a muscular organ in our body that works like an engine and provides the necessary fuel to run the human body by pumping blood. There are many health conditions that are related to the cardiovascular system. These health conditions are mainly caused due to any kind of impairment or obstruction, lack of flexibility, fatty plaques of the arteries.
- In the modern systems of medicine, surgical treatment is recommended for the cure of heart problems but on the other side, Ayurveda targets the deep root cause of the disease. The best cure for heart diseases is to adopt a holistic approach with Ayurveda.
Why heart attack happen?
- Heart attack happens when there is obstruction to blood supply to the heart muscles. The obstruction may be due to any blood clot, any fat deposits in blood vessels or any other factor. It leads to severe pain, heaviness and congestion in chest area. Due to the blockage, heart muscle does not get enough oxygen to function properly. When the blood supply is not restored early, the muscle started to die.
- In Ayurveda trerms like Hridroga, Hridayamaya and Hridaya Sula have been used. Acharaya Charaka has mentioned about Hridrogas in texts.
- In Ayurvedic contexts it is explained that imbalanced doshas alsong with vitiated Rasa, affect the Hridaya (the seat of Rasa) and produce Hridroga. In Ayurveda Hridroga is further classified in five types that are
- Vataj Hrid Roga (angina like pain)
- Pittaja Hrid Roga (inflammatory condition of heart )
- Kaphaja Hrid Roga (Organic disorders)
- Tridoshaja Hrid Roga
- Krimija Hrid Roga (Valvular heart disease)
Heart attack can be explained as doshabhighataja hridroga . Heart attack is characterized by
- Difficulty in breathing
- Extreme weakness
- Dry mouth
- Dry palate
Causes of Heart Attack
The Main causes of heart attack include
- Atherosclerosis – blockage of one or more of coronary arteries due to cholesterol.
- Spasm of a coronary artery
- Spontaneous coronary artery dissection
Risk factors for heart attack include
- Increasing age – Men age 45 or older and women age 55 or older
- Family history with heart disease
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Stressful lifestyle
- High blood pressure/cholesterol levels
Symptoms of Heart Attack
Symptoms can include:
- Chest pain – Immense heaviness, tightness or squeezing pain in the center of the chest
- Radiating pain – Feeling of moving pain from chest to arms (usually the left arm), jaw, neck, back and abdomen
- Difficulty breathing (shortness of breath)
- Fainting or dizziness
- Coughing or wheezing
Chest pain is more common and severe, some may experience minor discomfort.
Diagnosis of Heart Attack
Proper history of patient is required to confirm the diagnose. Your doctor will take your history and by physically examine you and also some lab examinations are required that will help to confirm the diagnosis.
The diagnostic tests for heart attack include:
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Blood tests
- Coronary angiography
- Exercise stress test
- Chest X-ray
Heart Attack Ayurvedic Treatment
- In Ayurveda many natural ways are given that will help in maintenance of healthy life. In Ayurvedic contexts many herbs are given that will not only treat the diseases of heart bul also helpful in strengthening of heart muscles
- Main aim in the management of heart attack is removal of blockage by the use of medicine or surgical method. The aim is to protect heart and strengthen the heart by choosing right of diet and lifestyle maintenance.
- Triphala – It keeps the heart healthy by reducing the fat level and high cholesterollevel in the blood it is the most effective Ayurvedic Triphala is the mixture of three herbs named Amalaki, Bibhitaki and haritki .
- Ashwagandha This is a wonder herb to reduce tension from mind and body and provide strength to the heart muscles.
- Chaywanprash: Chyawanprash is the mixture of various natural herbs like amla,herbs of dashmool , herbs of jeevniya gana etc. and various spices. Chaywanprash strengthens the heart muscles and boosts up the immune system as well.
- These three are the most commonly and effectively used and also easily available herbal products for heart problems. Other ayurvedic herbs include arjuna, garlic, guggul, Turmeric, giloy are good for heart and helps in provide natural treatment for heart diseases.
In Ayurveda treatment of any disease is done by combination of modification in diet and life style factors.
Dietary Modification (Aahar)
Dietary modifications which a person should be adopted if he/she is at risk of developing heart attack. Healthy Nutritious diet should be taken.
Foods to consume
- Carbohydrate foods such as wheat, rice, maize, jowar
- Green leafy vegetables
- Egg whites
- Vegetable oils
- Low fat milk and fermented milk products such as buttermilk
- Fresh fruits
Foods to avoid
- Foods which are high in harmful cholesterol such as animal meats, egg yolks
- Red meats such as pork, mutton, and beef
- Cheese, butter, condensed milk, milk cream, coconut and palm oils etc
- Trans fatty acids such as hydrogenated oils
- Salty foods such as fries, pickles, etc
- Sugary foods like cakes, pastries, chocolates, ice-creams, etc
- Tea, coffee, colas
- All type of Canned vegetables and fruit syrups
Lifestyle Changes (Vihar)
- Stay active in life in you work and exercise.
- Make a schedule for daily routine.
- Do not overexert yourself in some work.
- Avoid negative thoughts.
- Do Yoga, pranayam, meditation and stress relieving therapies help in managing cardiac problems.
Medicine ( Aushadha)
CAC Provides herbal products with combination of all the ayurvedic herbs that are effective for treating heart disorders i.e. Heart care kit. These medicines are very effective for strengthening of heart and also helps in good functioning of heart.
Heart care kit contains
- Kapha Balance Tablet
- Trikatu tablet
- Heart up tablet
- Nerve up tablet
- Active plus tablet
For more information you can visit our website