What is Lymphatic System?
Lymphatic system is a part of our immune system that has enormous functions. The most common function is to protect body from any kind of illnesses (immune defense). Lymph is almost similar to plasma constitutes cellular debris, waste product together with protein and bacteria. It is defines as the network of tissues, vessels and organs work in integrity to watery, colorless fluid that is lymph into circulatory system. Around 20 liters of plasma circulates in arteries and capillaries everyday.
Lymphatic system mainly has three functions:
- Fluid balance: Lymphatic system returns excess protein and fluids from tissues and cells that cannot return through the blood vessels.
- Absorption: Lymph absorbs fats and proteins from intestine and return it back to blood.
- Protection: lymphatic system forms and releases lymphocytes (white blood cells) and other cell to fight against foreign invaders like bacteria, virus, fungus etc.
- Lymphatic system transport and helps in removal of waste products and abnormal cells from the lymph.
Constituent of lymphatic system:
- Lymphatic vessels
- Collecting duct
- Spleen (filters and stores blood, formation of White blood cells)
- Thymus (matures specific type of White blood cells and helps in scavenging)
- Tonsils and adenoids (taps pathogens from air we breathe and food and kills them-fist line of defense)
- Bone marrow (formations of WBC, RBC and platelets takes palce)
- Peyer’s patches (lymph nodes in small intestine
Ayurveda and lymphatic System:
“Rasa dhatu” is compared with the lymphatic system. Ras dhatu is the essence of nutrition circulating through the arteries. It is mentioned as lymph, plasma or simple quoted as nutrition in circulation. It helps in detoxifying the body, delivering nutrients like fats, proteins that provides energy and prevents oneself from bodily stresses and diseases. Its constitute most of the immunity of a person. Due to external factors like stress or poor eating habits there is accumulation of Ama (toxins) that impaired the formation of Rasa Dhatu or other words lymph nodes in the gut gets congested compromising Immunity and energy leading to many diseases and various health issues.
Causes of Lymphatic congestion:
- Impaired Digestion
- Poor Diet
- Lack of physical exercise
- Excess alcohol of alcohol
- Infections (bacterial or viral)
Symptoms of poor lymphatic drainage:
- Bloating and water retention
- Joint stiffness
- Brain fog
- Weight gain
- Dry and itchy skin
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Cold extremities
- Chronic cold, sinusitis, sore throat etc
Various diseases of Lymphatic system:
Swollen Lymph nodes: There are specifically two main reasons for swollen Lymph nodes direct infection (Lymphadenitis) of lymph node or reaction to an infection.
- Glandular fever
Lymphedema: lymphatic system functioning is impaired. Drainage Is not proper leads to accumulation of fluid that further causes swelling in arm or legs known as Lymphedema.
- Tender lymph nodes
- Tight, hard skin
- Excessive fluid may leak up through skin
Lymphoma: lymphomas are the cancer of the lymphatic system. It is regarded as most dreadful condition of the lymphatic system. Hodgkin Lymphoma is a type of Lymphoma that specifically affects B lymphocytes. And Non Hodgkin Lymphoma can rise from B or T lymphocytes.
Ways in Ayurveda to boost up Lymphatic Drainage:
- Abhyanga (oleation therapy): Oil massage promotes tissue nourishment, joint health, circulation, relaxation, muscle tone, better drainage of lymph nodes.it restores the balance of body.
- Panchkarma: Panchkarma is the sodhana therapy (detoxification) of body as a whole. It involves Five Karmas vamana (medicated Vomiting), Virechana (medicated purgation), raktamokshana (bloodletting), nasya (nasal therapy), shirodhara (pouring oil on hair). It removes toxins from the each and every part of the cell and rejuvenate body just like an new born.
- Marma therapy: Marma are specific points present on the body known as “prana” (energy). Massaging these points immediately rejuvenate body, mind and soul, delay aging, releasing deep tension in tissues, improving circulation, clearing blockages.
- Maintaining Gut health with proper nutrition
- Proper hydration to detoxify to get rid of toxins
- Herbs useful for lymph detox:
Managing Lymphatic system diseases with Chandigarh Ayurved Centre:
1. Kapha Powder:
Cough powder of Chandigarh Ayurved Centre is safe and made up of all natural herbs. The herbs &
minerals used for preparation of this churna has properties like antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, expectorant, digestive, and immuno-modulatory. It is composed of ingredients like Talisadi Churna, Abharak Bhasam, Godanti Bhasam, Laxmi Vilas Ras, Yashti Madhu Churna, Tankan Bhasam, Kaph Ketu Ras. Dosage: 1 sachet twice daily with Luke warm water 30 mins after meal.
2. Kanchnaar Guggulu:
The tablet is composed of Kanchnaar (Bauhinia variegata), Pippali (Piper longum), Shunthi (Zingiber officinale), Guggulu (Commiphora mukul), Twak (Cinnamomum zeylanicum), etc. These tablets pacifies all the three doshas and helps in reducing inflammation. This medicine checks and treats any kind of abnormal growth in the body. All kind of unwanted growth and fluid retentions in the body is treated by Kanchnar Guggul and it reduces all kinds of lumps in the body.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
3. Trikatu Syrup:
The main herbs used for the formation of this syrup are Marich (Piper nigrum), Pippali (Piper longum), & Shunthi (Zingiber officinale). This herbal syrup helps in increasing the digestive fire (AGNI) that prevents toxin accumulation. Impaired digestive power is the root cause of every disease going inside the body. It is very effective syrup for different disorders.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 teaspoonfuls twice daily.
4. Curcumin Capsules:
Curcumin Capsule is a herbo-mineral capsule of size 500 MG which is 100% safe and is purely ayurvedic formulation. CAC Curcumin Capsules helps in pacifying all three doshas. This Capsule contains standardized extract of the herb Curcumin (Curcuma longa). Curcumin is the active ingredient in Turmeric having powerful Anti-inflammatory, Antibacterial, Antifungal, Anti-microbial and Antioxidant properties (helps in fighting against infections). These Capsules lowers the risk Cancer by reducing the growth of cancerous cells.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 Capsule twice daily with normal water.
5. Kapha Balance Tablet:
Kapha tablet is a healthy blend of herbs formulated to balance Kapha doshas without aggravating Pitta and Vata doshas. It can also be used to alleviate any temporary Kapha imbalance. It is very effective in Kapha season that is late winter and spring. It consists of warming and astringent herbs that help to balance the system throughout the cold season. The main use of Kapha tablets is to remove excess Kapha doshas from the system and helps in boosting up of the immune system.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.