Depression also called Major depressive disorder or Clinical depression is common mood disorder in today’s world. It is described as feeling of loss, anger and sadness that interfere with persons day to life which persist more than two weeks. It influence relationship of person and may worsen chronic health conditions. The conditions that can get worse are:
- cardiovascular disease
TYPES OF DEPRESSIONS :
There are different type of depression developed due to specific circumstances
- Major Depression :
The person having symptoms for more than two weeks .It interferes with person’s ability to sleep, eat, study and work.
- Persistent Depression:
The depression that last longer than 2 years . This show less severe symptoms of depression
- Perinatal (Postpartum) Depression:
Women develops major depression during pregnancy or in weeks or months after child birth.
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD):
Depression that comes and go with seasons. It usually start in late fall and early winters and gradually goes during summers and spring.
- Depression with symptoms of psychosis:
Patient shows symptoms of depression along with psychotic symptoms like:
- Believing other person is trying to harm the patient.
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF DEPRESSION?
Some common causes of depression are:
- BRAIN CHEMISTRY :Chemical imbalance in parts of brain may lead to depression.
- HORMONAL IMBALANCE: The imbalance of hormones like estrogen, progesterone during the menstrual cycle, postpartum period, or menopause lead to depression.
- FAMILY HISTORY: Person with family history of mental disorders may be at high risk of developing depression.
- EARLY CHILDHOOD TRAUMA
- SUBSTANCE USE: Substance or alcohol abuse may put person at risk.
Some of the risk factors for depression are:
- Sex: Female are at higher risk of being depress than their male counterpart.
- Socioeconomic status: Low social status individuals are at high risk of developing depression
- Vitamin D deficiency
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF DEPRESSION ?
Some of the common symptoms of depression are :
- Feeling anxious, sad
- Feeling worthless or guilty
- Loss of interest in hobbies
- Feeling desperate, irritable or restless
- Having suicidal thoughts
- Change in sleeping pattern
- Appetite loss
- Difficulty in concentration or decision making
- Fluctuation in weight
- Unexplained physical problems like headache, pain , indigestion etc.
WHAT ARE THE COMPLICATIONS OF DEPRESSION ?
If depression is not treated it can cause complication like:
- weight gain or loss
- substance use disorder
- physical pain
- panic attacks
- social isolation
- relationship problems
- thoughts of suicide and self-harm
- Physical examination
- Blood test to identify problems like thyroid or vitamin- D deficiency
- Psychiatric evaluation
LIFESTYLE CHANGES TO PREVENT DEPRESSION:
- Finding new hobbies
- Spending quality time with friends and family
- Developing healthy eating habits
AYURVEDIC APPROACH :
According to ayurveda depression is usually thought as imbalance of kapha dosha and tamas respectively due to nidana sevan.
The characteristic features of depression like poor mood, low energy, heaviness, sadness, reduced movement and general stagnation are all symptoms of Kapha and tamas imbalance.
- Jatamansi – It have brain protective property.
- Brahmi – It is helpful in improving memory and reducing anxiety.
- Guduchi – It has memory enhancing and Anti-stress properties.
- Ashwagandha – It enhances the function of the brain and nervous system and also improves the memory.
AYURVEDIC PROCEDURES :
- Nasya karam
- Shiro vasti
- Shiro abhyanga
CHANDIGARH AYURVEDIC CENTER MEDICATION FOR THE TREATMENT OF DEPRESSION :
1. Brodley Syrup:
This syrup maintains the overall activity of the brain. As the herbs used for the preparation of this syrup are Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis), Dhania (Coriandrum sativum), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Saunf (Foeniculum vulgare), etc. These all acts as a mind relaxant. The use of this syrup provides good results to the dementia patient. This syrup has the best memory boosting power and helps in increasing the blood flow to the brain. It is used as an antioxidant that increases retention power.
Recommended Dosage:Take 2 teaspoonful twice daily.
2. Mann Mitra tablet:
Mann Mitra tablet is herbal and purely ayurvedic medicine. It is used in Ayurvedic treatment for psychiatric conditions and help to balance all the three doshas of body i.e vata, pitta, kapha. CAC Mann Mitra tablet improves intelligence and speech problems. It is helpful for making the nervous system strong and nerves as well. It contains various herbs like Bala, Vacha, Shankhpushpi, Nagkeshar etc that help you fight insomnia, anxiety, and stress. It works as a antioxidant, anti depressant, immuno booster, anti epileptic and as neuro protective drug.
Recommended Dosage:Take 1 tablet twice a day with normal water.
3. Rasayan Vati:
Rasayan vati is herbo-mineral Ayurvedic formulation which contains various herbs such as Aswagandha, Shilajeet, Amla, Musali, Shatavar, Brahmi, Abhrak Bhasam, Mukta pisti, Praval pisti, , Kaunch Beej, Saunth, Mirch, Brahmi, etc. These ingredients show antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antipyretic, analgesic, immune-modulator properties. These tablets provides good results in General debility, Psychological disorders, and improves immunity.
Recommended Dosage:Take 1 tablet twice daily.
4. Calm Sleep tablet:
Calm sleep tablet is an amazing combination of natural herbs like bhang, Brahmi, Tagar, jatamansi. It helps to relieve stressful conditions. They help to pacify the nervous system and also helps to calm minds and make your body relax and light. In Ayurveda when there is an imbalance of three energies i.e. vata, pitta and Kapha, it leads to disease. Vata has a sub dosha named prana doshas which regulates the sensory perception, brain, and mind. calm sleep tablets is effective in depression, anxiety, insomnia, amnesia, Alzheimer’s disease, obesity, and hypertension.
Recommended Dosage:Take 1 tablet twice a daily.
5. Brain relaxant churna:
This churna is a pure Ayurvedic preparation which contains Amla (Emlica officinalis), Sonth (Zingiber officinale), Pippali (Piper longum), Marich (Piper nigrum), Haldi (Curcuma longa), Bala (Sida cordifolia), Suddha gandhak, Lauha bhasma, etc. It is mainly used for the treatment of psychiatric conditions, speech problems, to improve the intelligence and also beneficial in sleep disturbances, panic attacks, phobia, and relieves stress.
Recommended Dosage:Take 1 tablespoonful twice daily.
6. Stress care tablet:
Stress care tablets are pure herbal formulation prepared from ingredients like Sarpgandha (Rauwolfia serpentine), Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Jatamansi (Nardostacys jatamansi).The herbs used for formulation of these tablets show antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-stress, anti-depressant, & immune-modulator properties. These herbal tablets gives good result in Stress, Depression, Anxiety, All neurological disorders, Increases intelligence, and Improves memory.
Recommended Dosage:Take 1 tablet twice daily.