Ayurveda science always revolves around this thought that “all diseases begins in the Gut”. Our gut is foundation of our body. A healthy gut health is critically important for the overall wellness of the body. Disturbance in the gut not only shows gastrointestinal symptoms but may lead to various physical and mental health issues. Urbanization has been a biggest cause of deteriorating Gut health worldwide.
Modern science also believes in healthy gut is the result of balanced good (helpful) and bad (potentially harming) bacteria and yeast in our digestive system. In fact gut health is responsible for majority of immune health and serotonin levels. This clearly says that immune system and hormones not able to work properly if gut isn’t healthy and you probably get sick.
Factors affects gut Health:
- Poor nutrition
- Long term use of antibiotics
- Prolonged use of antacids
- Poor eating habits
- Processed and packed food
Signs of Unhealthy Gut:
- Gas or acidity
- Bloated belly
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Brain fog
- Difficulty in concentrating
- Poor memory
- Trouble sleeping
- Frequent mood swings
- Chronic pain
- Autoimmune disorders like rheumatoid arthritis, Diabetes, multiple sclerosis etc
Ayurveda concept behind:
“अग्न्यधिष्ठानमन्नस्य ग्रहणाद्ग्रहणी मता |
अपक्वं धारत्यन्नं पक्वं सृजति पार्श्वतः |
दुर्बलाग्निबला दुष्टा त्वाममेव विमुञ्चति ||”
Grahni is the seat of Agni (digestive power), it also holds the food we eat till the digestion is completed and assimilated. Agni holds the undigested food and pushes forward the digested food. But when agni becomes weak and vitiated by various factors like unhealthy eating, stress etc, it affects the proper digestion of food and formation of Ama leads to accumulation of toxins (byproduct of undigested food). These toxin circulates in whole body through the blood causing various diseases starting from the gut to each and every part of the body. Hence your Gut Health is good if your Agni is functioning well.
Methods of improving Gut Health With Ayurveda:
Ayurveda focuses on certain dietary and lifestyle changes to improve gut health.
- Eat freshly cooked warm food with digestive spices like turmeric, ginger, pepper, cumin seed, methi seeds etc to strengthen the digestion.
- Eating fresh and seasonal fruits and vegetables with nutritive and antioxidant properties that energize the system.
- Good gut bacteria is needed for the proper absorption of nutrition. Hence one should avoid processed food as they contain high sugars and chemicals that destroy gut bacteria. And adding on the probiotic rich food like yogurt, buttermilk, fermented food like cheese etc
- Adding water soluble fibers into diet \ that aids digestion such as whole grains like oats or quinoa, legumes, fresh fruits and vegetables, chia seeds, flax seeds, nuts like almonds etc.
- Adding spices into diet like turmeric, cumin, coriander, pink salt, fennel seeds, ginger etc as it adds flavor to our diet and aids digestion by increasing secretion of enzymes.
- Natural source of probiotics : probiotics helps in calcium uptake and boost the growth of healthy bacteria in the gut.
- Fermented food are rich in lactobacillus and are a great source of probiotics.
Some herbal formulations that are beneficial for the growth of good gut bacteria by Chandigarh Ayurved Centre:
1. Digestion Support Tablet:
This tablet is unique blend of best digestive herbs like kutaz chal, bilav, dhania, mustak, shankh bhasm, piper mint, and dadim that maintain natural Ph balance in the stomach and aid digestion of all types of food. The herbs present in this control acidity, gas, flatulence and constipation. These all complex problems are root cause of all diseases. If digestive system is proper it leads to proper assimilation of the nutrients in the body.
As per Ayurveda digestive disorders are due to imbalance of Pitta doshas. The Ama formation leads to digestive disorders.
- Kutaz chal
- Shankh bhasm
- Piper mint
2. CAC TRIKATU TABLET:
It is a hebo-mineral tablet of 650 MG and is purely Ayurvedic formulation. CAC Trikatu Tablet helps to eliminate excess Kapha or mucous from the body, supports respiratory system, manages weight, helps to take out impurities or ama from the body, supports healthy detoxification,reduces swelling. It shows anti-inflammatory, analgesic, expectorant, antioxidant properties. This tablet is made up of equal parts of three herbs such as Pippali (Piper longum), Shunthi (Zingiber officinale), & Marich (Piper nigrum) that maintains the metabolism in the body. The regular use of this tablet balances the thyroxine hormone and treats hyperthyroidism It is an Appetizer and it improves digestion, supports normal gastric function, and normal circulation.